What is Universal Credit? How to Claim Universal Credit, Benefits & Eligibility

Universal Credit is money for people over 18 but not old enough for a State Pension. It is for those with low income or no job. Sometimes, if your age is 16 or 17, in full-time training, or a full-time student, you can ask for it. Let’s know all about the Universal Credit, Benefits, and Eligibility:

What is Universal Credit? You might get more help

There are other benefits you could receive. If you or your partner get any of these benefits, the Universal Credit you get might be less.

  • Carer’s Allowance
  • New Style Employment and Support Allowance
  • State Pension
  • Maternity Allowance
  • New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (parts of Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance and Constant Attendance Allowance may not be included)

Also Read: Universal Credit Log In: How do I Sign into my account?

What is Universal Credit

Who can get Universal Credit

To get Universal Credit, you should:

  • Be 18 or more aged (16 or 17 in some situations)
  • Not be as old as the State Pension age
  • Not be in full-time school or training unless there are exceptions
  • Have savings of less than £16,000

You will get less Universal Credit if your savings are more than £6,000 or if you earn enough to pay for your basic living needs.

Applying as a couple Universal Credit

If you live with a partner, both of you should apply together. You are seen as a couple if:

  • You have a civil partnership
  • You are married
  • You live together like a married couple
  • Both of you must make a Universal Credit account. The first person gets a partner code shown on the screen.

When the second person makes their account, they put in this partner code. This links the accounts, and you are all set as a couple.

Universal Credit money goes into the building society, bank, or Credit Union account you picked when you made your account. If you want, you can share the payments with your partner. Just get in touch with your work coach using your Universal Credit online account.

If you are 16 or 17 Universal Credit

You can get Universal Credit if:

  • You cannot work much or have proof from a doctor when waiting for a Work Capability Assessment
  • You take care of someone with a disability
  • You are single and taking care of a child
  • You are a couple, both responsible for a child, and your partner can get Universal Credit
  • You are 29 weeks or more pregnant
  • You had a baby in the last 15 weeks
  • You do not have support from parents (like if you do not have parents and are not under local authority care)

If you are in full-time training or studying

If you are in training or a full-time student, you can get Universal Credit if:

  • You are in a couple, and your spouse can get Universal Credit
  • You are in a couple taking care of a child, and one (or both) of you is a student
  • You are single and taking care of a child
  • You are older than the age for Pension Credit (which is going up as the State Pension age does) or in joint claims when your partner is under that age
  • You are 21 or under, studying full-time (like for A BTEC National Diploma or levels), and you do not have support from parents (like if you do not have parents and are not under local authority care)

You are disabled, assessed as not able to work much (Limited Capability for Work, Limited Capability for Work, and Work-Related Activity), and get:

  • Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance

If you are old enough for Pension Credit, but your partner is not

If you are with a partner who is younger for Pension Credit but can get Universal Credit, you both can apply together for Universal Credit.

If you have a Severe Disability Premium

Starting from February 2021, if you get Severe Disability Premium and something in your situation changes, you might switch to Universal Credit. You will get extra payments, called Transitional Protection, to make sure you do not lose money when you switch.

Switching to Universal Credit from another benefit and tax credit

If you ask for Universal Credit, the other benefits or tax credits you were getting will end.

If you are thinking about changing to Universal Credit from another benefit, it is a good idea to get advice from someone who is not connected to Universal Credit before you do.

If you work in one country but live in another

A Frontier or Cross-border worker is someone who works in one country but lives in another.

If you work in Northern Ireland and live in the Republic of Ireland, you can ask for Universal Credit as a Cross-border worker or Frontier.

Leave a Comment